Weird Al: Strings Attached

Moderator: Calamity Panfan

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Weird Al: Strings Attached

Post by CaptHayfever » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:29 am

Last year, I caught Al's super-bare-bones tour. This year, as a Christmas present, my sister, who works for a local ticketing agency, got us 5th-row seats for his super-overly-enhanced tour last Saturday!

The Venue: StL's own Fabulous Fox Theater (which not coincidentally shares the same parent company as my sister's work).

The Pregame: We caught a special crabfest dinner at the new Brick Creek Cider bar--the wife is not a seafood fan, so we wouldn't have been able to do this if I'd gone with her instead--& then got dessert at the Curtain Call Lounge attached to & operated by the theater. Then we went & hung out in my sister's office until showtime.

The Opener: The Saint Louis Symphony Orchestra, which performed selections from Raiders of the Lost Ark, Mission Impossible, Superman, and Star Wars.

The Headliner: Getting to kinda chillax the last couple years (Comedy Bang Bang & last year's low-key tour notwithstanding) certainly didn't make Al lose his edge; if anything, it helped him build up EXTRA energy for this tour. Backed as always by his usual band, supplemented this time out by some extra backup singers & the aforementioned Saint Louis Symphony Orchestra made for a really cool dynamic that we're not used to. There was one slight technical issue early on with the harmony track on "Word Crimes" desyncing, but elsewise things went off sans hitches. The traditional Weird Al video screen was back as well, this time incorporating Funny Or Die's "Weird" trailer along with the usual clips.

The Setlist:
"Beethoven Symphony #5/Fun Zone"
Style-Shifted Medley: "I Lost on Jeopardy/I Love Rocky Road/Like a Surgeon"
(the same versions as last year's medley, but with orchestra)
"The Biggest Ball of Twine in Minnesota"
"Word Crimes"
"One More Minute"
Drum Solo
"Jurassic Park"
"Don't Download This Song"
"Weasel Stomping Day"
Bass Solo
"Tacky"
"Harvey the Wonder Hamster" (in all its unabridged glory)
"Jackson Park Express"
"Smells Like Nirvana"
"Dare to Be Stupid"
"White & Nerdy"
"Amish Paradise"
Band intro that makes you think he's gonna do "Living with a Hernia" but then he doesn't
encore:
"Bach Toccata & Fugue in Dminor"
"The Saga Begins"

"Star Wars Main Theme"
"Chiapanecas"
"Yoda"

(Our concert did not have the oboe solo that some of the other stops had, nor did we get "You Don't Love Me Anymore".)

And remember, "I'm-Al, number one!"

Marilink
Supermod

Re: Weird Al: Strings Attached

Post by Marilink » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:49 am

I’m so sad I’m missing this. He’s going to be in Nashville like the week before I move. :(

Glad you got to go, Cap, it sounds like a blast.

United Nations

Post by United Nations » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:14 am

This makes me so excited for August! Val and I are seeing him in Denver at the Red Rocks Amphitheatre with the Colorado Symphony. Thank you for posting! Glad you had fun. :)

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:28 am

...have to say, I'm really glad 'Biggest Ball of Twine in Minnesota' is still part of the setlist.

I realised the other night it's pretty much my favourite Weird Al song. It's silly, and it makes me nostalgic for all the gross road trips I've ever been on.
boo-------nothin but hooves, fangs, tusks, antlers and broken blades

Return to “Music and Podcasts”