Review the last game you finished

Moderator: X-3

I am nobody

Re: Review the last game you finished

Post by I am nobody » Sun May 26, 2019 3:42 pm

30. Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark (5/26) (PC)

It's a strategy RPG that doesn't try to hide how much it was inspired by Final Fantasy Tactics. In terms of gameplay, it's basically fine. The maps are mostly interesting enough, and there's a good variety of enemies, but the decision to limit you to six characters per battle when they're are 20 classes and you ultimately end up with six story characters is a little baffling. You're never able to explore that possibilities that thoroughly because the protagonist is always forced to be in your party, one of the other named characters is just objectively better than any alternative, you absolutely need a healer or two, and one of the other story characters inevitably ends up being best for the last slot. They tried to rectify that with the injury system, whereby any character who gets knocked out takes a 10% stat penalty for the next fight unless they sit it out, but since there's no XP leak, it's almost always better to go waste time replaying the trivially easy first fight rather than trying to win a real mission with characters that aren't ready. You can pay money to recruit a character at the right level, but they won't have any abilities unlocked, so there's no way to get a character who is properly leveled and skilled for the fight you're facing unless you've been grinding extra characters the whole time.

Which could be a real problem, but it's also not very hard. Maybe it's just that I'm used to Devil Survivor's willingness to wreck you for any minor mistake, even before the fight starts, but I felt like I could coast by on the same strategy for almost the entire game. I think this combination could've been fine if the game was maybe half as long. As it stands, you're probably looking at 30+ hours if, unlike me, you don't get bored halfway through and edit the save file to make all your characters level 99. I think it says a lot that, having done that, the remainder of the game still felt too long and the battles weren't significantly less interesting than when I actually had a chance of losing.

Which leaves the story. Alas, it is garbage. The three main characters are all as blandly heroic as it is possible to be, with any supposed personality traits coming primarily from other characters insisting they exist rather than any demonstration in their dialogue. Everyone else servers some one-note purpose and is otherwise at best barely significant to the goings on. It clearly recognizes the importance of twists in this kind of story, but executes them so staggeringly by the book that nearly every one will be obvious to anyone with even a passing familiarity with RPG tropes the second it's set up. It's so boring that I ended up using this as a podcast game, which I don't think I've ever done with an allegedly story-focused game before.

tl;dr: Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Mon May 27, 2019 10:04 pm

Only took 'till nearly June, but I finally found an unqualified recommendation from this year!

Not this first one, though. It's from last year.

30. Shape of the World (5/27) (PC)

Trippy walking simulator. I got it free and it was a really good podcast game for the whole hour it lasted. Probably not going to remember it in two weeks, though.

31. Yuppie Psycho (5/27) (PC)

Slay the Spire's first real competitor for 2019 is also a strong contender for worst game name. It sounds like it should be a gratuitously violent Hotline Miami ripoff, but it's actually Silent Hill, Inc. It's got all the fascinating weirdness and body horror of that game, but themed around working for a large corporation rather than rural cults. That describes the gameplay pretty accurately as well: There's no combat, but otherwise it's a familiar mix of avoiding enemies and solving puzzles in a world that expands and morphs as you progress. Also like SH, it's rarely if ever reliant on jump scares to create tension, so people that don't normally get on with horror games (like me) can finish it.

This is an extreme case of benefiting from not knowing much going in, so I'm reluctant to say more than that it's a phenomenal at that sense of things just being wrong. Other than that the ending is just okay in what's an otherwise brilliant game, I honestly don't have any criticisms of it.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:09 pm

Turns out you can finish a lot of games really quickly if they're all 2 hours or less. Who knew?

(She and the Light Bearer comes to Switch this week!)

32. Detective Di: The Silk Rose Murders (5/31) (PC)

Di Renjie is the Chinese equivalent of Sherlock Holmes, except that he was an actual guy and also about 1,200 years earlier. I hadn't heard of him before this game, but it's definitely gotten me interested in other media about him. It helps that, besides the idea of a detective story set in the 600s AD being interesting enough on its own, he served primarily during the reign of China's only empress, Wu Zetian, and all the intrigue surrounding her ascension.

The gameplay is rather standard fair for an adventure game, and the player doesn't actually do much crime solving, but the setting is sufficiently unique that it really never bothered me. It's a pretty good game elevated to something pretty special by expanding game's exploration of history.

33. She and the Light Bearer (6/1) (PC)

Mojiken Studio is an Indonesian outfit that's rapidly becoming one of my favorite indie devs. They put out a couple free games on Steam last year (A Raven Monologue and Banyu Lintar Agnin) that were both ~30 minutes long, touching, and artistically stunning. SatLB is a paid game that brings the run time up to 2 hours, but otherwise continues that trend. It's a fairy tale about a firefly who has to save the forest by reaching its center and waking Mother. Although never a challenging game, it's consistently entertaining and tells a solid story. I'd compare it to the old Humongous games in that it's a very child-friendly and accessible adventure game, but unlike those games, it's also fantastic as an adult.

And I really can't emphasize enough how good beautiful this game is. Pyre is the only game I can think of that compares, and that's about the highest praise I can give. Just look at it:
Spoiler.
34. Bright Memory: Episode 1 (6/1) (PC)

A 30 minute introduction to an FPS-by-way-of-DMC by somehow made by one guy. The toolset is a little limited, but combat still feels great and the boss fights are a blast. The only things I can complain about are things that it's unbelievable a $6 game by one guy even has: the voicework is a little iffy and the translation from Chinese could use another pass.

35. A Hat in Time: Nyakuza Metro (6/1) (PC)

The first DLC for the game had me a little worried about my claim that it was better than Super Mario Odyssey. Seal the Deal was a cool idea ruined by confusing level design and a woefully unprepared camera. Thankfully, Gears for Breakfast learned from that mistake and delivered something brilliant with Nyakuza Metro. It's 8 challenge time pieces in an open level that's far and away the most detailed in the game, and while it's still easy to get lost at first, there's enough cool stuff to find that losing your way never feels frustrating. Add in some creative new platforming gimmicks, a story as silly as the name implies, and loads of new customization options and you've got the game's best content.

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:43 pm

I played 'MechaNika'. I thought it was charming, if a little short. 'Agatha Knife' is better, and Agatha is by far a more likeable character. Nika's kind of a mean little devil-child------------Agatha's a sweetheart.

In fairness, 'MechaNika' came first. It's good that Mango Protocol made 'Agatha Knife', a better game, next. You want to improve, yeah. Bloom and grow forever.
the eternal sneaky wriggler, twistier than god's own corkscrew, sharp as split lightning

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:46 am

I had to actually sit through the credits of ToS again to update my NG+ file for runs because there’s a memory circle in the temple of darkness that saves a couple seconds that I never bothered to get before now.

Barring me feeling like spending 20 hours grinding 80 million extra gald to save me a total of 8 inputs over 6.5 hours, I think I’m finally 100% completely finished with my setup file and can just focus on runs.

The memory gem system is interesting but honestly I don’t really get the purpose. It forces you to fight enemies if you want it but you can just save on the overworld and casually that’s 10000% what I did because I was too lazy to fight monsters to find the memory gems, and as a speedrunner you literally don’t fight anyone except forced battles and bosses so I’ve never actually had a save file with all the memory circles, lmao.

Anyway for some reason saving there and loading when all the darkness blobs are on the last staircase warps them down, which saves time. So 8)

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:26 pm

I did #30 twice. Counting is hard. So is keeping rack of when I have things to review, apparently.

37. FAR: Lone Sails (6/2) (PC)

I misremembered the reviews for this one and thought it was generally considered meh when it's actually pretty well regarded. Whoops. It's from the LIMBO and INSIDE school of 2.5D puzzle platformers, except that it's about piloting a ramshackle train-thing across a dried out lakebed rather than existential horrors. It isn't hard at all, but there's just enough busywork with the train and things going on in the background to keep it engaging for its 90 minute runtime. Overall, it's not as memorable as its inspirations, but it's a good time nonetheless.

38. Spinnortality: A Cyberpunk Management Game (6/3) (PC)

The premise here is incredible: The Illuminati has given you startup money to be the new Apple so you can make loads of money and make body replacements to keep them alive forever. You die if too many of them die or you go bankrupt, and you make progress by researching new products and marketing them to all the different regions of the world. Said regions have different cultures that make certain slogans more or less appealing and different governments that may ban more advanced products, so you've got to play a balancing game to allocate your resources in a way that keeps churning out new products without letting your reputation slide too much or getting new products banned.

And it lives up to that promise for a long time. The problems begin when you run out of things to research. If, like me, you're going for the goody-two-shoes win condition of restoring democracy worldwide and whatnot, you can't actually do much when your products get banned, and since they're banned by level of technology, that makes a lot of research progress pointless. The win conditions are also involved enough that you'll exhaust pretty much everything the game has to do long before attaining any of them, and then you're just left to grind out product relaunches to keep your company alive until you tick the last few boxes.

With some rebalancing and a bit more depth, this could be a phenomenal game. It's still pretty good as-is.

39. Void Bastards (6/17) (PC)

Wasn't going to get this at launch because every roguelite FPS goes pretty much the same way: It's hard for the first handful of lives, then you figure out the rhythm and blast through it all in one go. Well, I ended up getting to play it for $1 as part of Microsoft's E3 promotion, and I also shored up that theory.

VB is a very British space comedy about rehydrated prisoners assembling bits of machinery to get around the automated bureaucracy of their ship. You do that by boarding other ships with a dozen or so mutated enemy types and some gameplay that's very System Shock. It's fun at the earlier levels of the nebula, but I wasn't as engaged fighting the later, tankier enemies and it becomes clear about halfway through that avoiding combat is in most cases both completely viable and the best way forward. It's a decent podcast game, but I don't think I'd go seeking it out for any other reason.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:46 pm

Trials of Mana

it's really good. still.

Posting my thoughts in the ToM thread.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:39 pm

40. Forza Horizon 4 (6/26) (PC)

Like every racing game, it's really good for podcasts/audiobooks. Also like every racing game, it wastes your time with loads of voiceover characters telling you how cool you are after every little thing. There's an avatar customization system that is honestly less impressive than what was in Test Drive Unlimited 2 almost ten years ago, and so much of it relies on random unlocks that you have to wonder whether they originally built it with loot boxes.

The big thing that's supposed to differentiate it from every other game is that the map rotates through all four seasons and is actually pretty different in each of them. Rotation is based on your progress for the first few hours, and it's actually really cool - they stick around for just long enough for you to get used to them, and then you get a big showcase race and it's on to a new season. Then you hit level 20 and get forced into the always online mode, at which point it's always the same season for everyone and they only rotate every two weeks. And there goes all your variety. Doesn't matter that I did every race in single player and never interacted with any of the online mechanics - 80% of my time was in winter because that's what the server decided. And since only cars with snow tires are realistically usable in winter and not all cars can use snow tires, it kills the variety even more than it sounds like.

It has the mechanics to be a great racing game, but a pointless quest to be a live service brings it down to just an alright one.

41. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II Definitive Edition (6/27) (PS4)

Most of what I said about the gameplay of CS1 still holds here. The battle system is still brilliant and Blade is still the worst RPG minigame ever. The only big difference is that a lot of CSII is open world and gives you free choice of party members. That's a mostly welcome change, but it does mean that what was already a shining example of "guide dang-it" now has even more places to hide missables.

I wasn't as much of a fan of the story in this game, but it took this second playthrough to really understand why. Part of it, which I recognized the first time, is that the story takes the usual JRPG "friendship is magic" stuff to some truly silly extents. I don't mind those story elements in most cases, but the game goes so hard on making Rean friends with everyone that it doesn't allow itself to have any antagonists. I can't talk about specific examples without spoilers, obviously, but suffice to say that even literal terrorists are portrayed as characters you're supposed to like and all but two named members of the opposing faction are eventually revealed to either actually be allies or never cared about the cause at all. Then there's the fact that they try to say you're a neutral faction in the civil war when you only ever fight one side, which is also the only one that ever does anything bad, and nearly all of your allied characters are on the other. As a result, pretty much everything about the war falls completely flat emotionally. It wastes a tremendous amount of time on a moral conflict that doesn't exist and on trying to make you feel sorry for characters who aren't sympathetic. It's actually a good thing that so many of your enemies don't care about the overall conflict, because they're far more interesting when talking about anything else.

On top of that, I realized this time how few of the main characters actually have any characterization left for this game. Nearly all of them had their arcs resolved in the first game, and it's painfully obvious that there wasn't anything else to say about them. Mass Effect 2 is again the obvious comparison here as an RPG sequel with save game import and a large part, but where that game's party was mostly new characters and it was careful to explore new ground whenever a returning character was on screen, CSII focuses almost entirely on the same set of characters and doesn't meaningfully expand any of them. That's one thing for the half of the part that had interesting conflicts unresolved at the end of the the first game, but it's a disaster for the other half that didn't. Too many characters just don't go anywhere or do anything interesting over the course of a game that took me 75 hours originally (and 20 on NG+). The worst example is Eliot, whose conversations are all almost completely identical and involve him playing an instrument with Rean to be reminded of how music makes people feel better.

It also doesn't know how to end. This is a game with what would've been a perfect final dungeon - a big firey castle in which you fight almost every major opposing character, have a five stage final boss fight, and then get a big twist and cliffhanger setup at the end. One character even breaks the fourth wall to say "now this is a final dungeon" as you go in. And then it's not the end. There's a completely out of place epilogue that's just one of the school days from the first game again, robbing the ending of any impact and adding nothing to the plot, followed by the actual final dungeon, followed by a double epilogue involving characters from a game only released in Japan that no one here knows or cares about, followed by a cutscene that has all the characters go their separate ways and totally undermines the plot to that point.

Which is a shame, because everything besides the story is great JRPG material. It's even got a Skies of Arcadia-esque crew member collection system for your airship, there's new mechanics for the already strong battle system, and the sidequests are all pretty good. But the story is a hot mess, and there's a lot of it. As enjoyable as the game can still be, that makes it kind of a tough recommendation.

X-3

Post by X-3 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:01 pm

6.) Shanghai.exe

Of all the things to play, huh. This is a Touhou fangame AND a Mega Man Battle Network fangame, and it's pretty great. Instead of robot masters you've got the 2hus on the internet. The battle system is the same and there's many, many ways to smurf viruses/navis. There are a massive amount of bosses to fight as well. The style change system from 2/3 returns, but now you can hold multiple styles at once and switch on the fly like 6's cross system, a much-welcome improvement. The only real complaints I have are the labyrinthine areas, and honestly that's more a hold-over from MMBN than the fan game's fault. Of course, the tragedy is that Shanghai.exe will never actually be 100^ completed: the project got the ol' C&D a few years ago (for actually understandable reasons this time) and the last version ends right before the penultimate boss. Amazingly enough the post-game bosses and the final boss are actually in the files, so even incomplete it's...mostly complete I guess. Still no Druid Man though. Anyway, if you're a fan of MMBN it's worth searching the Undernet for the final demo version.

So, in short:

7.) Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

After over a million dollars, four years of development, multiple developers an 8-bit spin-off game and multiple delays, Bloodstained is finally out, and what do we get?

...a pretty great game. MN9 this is not. While MN9 is a mediocre Mega Man, this is a good Castlevania. Sure, they're both pretty ugly. Whenever you get one of those special cutscenes that zooms in, you'll say, "Damn, this this is ugly." I remember one short late-gameish cut-scene in particular being extremely poorly-done. And yes, Bloodstained is admittedly really rough from a technological stand-point, with a lot of assorted glitches that are pretty common. The PC version (which I played on) is miles better than the other versions, with the Switch version being especially poor at this time. Even in the PC version, one boss creates some noticeable lag, which is odd because the attack that does it doesn't seem like it'd be terribly taxing. In many ways, Bloodstained encapsulates "3D Kickstarter jank."

But, you know, it's also really, really fun. You run around smacking demons and casting magic. Every enemy feels both fun and valuable to fight due to the Soul-I mean Shard system, which lets you learn the moves of enemies. The sky's the limit for how much broken spells you can use to nuke enemies and listen to their dumbass death screams. You've also got an arsenal of weaponry to wield, from the classic one handed sword to giant greatswords to a gun. And, of course, you have the classic Metroidvania skill powerups that let you access new areas. One in particular is really, really neat if you think about how something similar was in SotN.

Speaking of call-backs to SotN, this game has many. If I liked the game less I might have been annoyed in a "bitch eating crackers" kind of way, but because I like the game they're charming. I didn't follow the game's development closely/didn't remember the Kickstarter stretch goals, so everything surrounding the character of OD was a huge, pleasant surprise to me. Also, I don't know if it's intentional, but some of the noises enemies make reminds me of the dumb noises SoTN enemies would make.

What else can I praise? The music is exceptionally good, almost every area is a banger or at the very least atmospheric. There's a lot of 'useless' rooms with cute little easter eggs which give the game a lot of shard-I mean soul. You can craft weapons and food for permanent stat buffs, which can get kind of addicting. There's some good (intentional) humor.

And there's still more to come. Like Shovel Knight, there's more stretch-goal free content to come including new modes and playable characters. I guess that will be doled out pretty slowly, but it's a reason to come back. Hopefully they get those tech issues fixed in the meantime.

So, in short:

Nioh 2 Alpha:

The Nioh 2 alpha was pretty good. As people have said it's very similar to the first game (much closer than say DS->DS2 for instance) but I liked the first game so I'm not too bothered. Still not a huge fan of the loot system, mostly because of how incremental most of the bonuses are (ie: +1.00% handstand modifier on Tuesdays) but the core gameplay is really fun so I'm still on board.

So, in short:

How was I kid for so long?

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:05 pm

^Jeepers. You don't sleep, do you. You a gaming journo, friend?
the eternal sneaky wriggler, twistier than god's own corkscrew, sharp as split lightning

X-3

Post by X-3 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:15 pm

Eh, it's not as crazy as it may look. They were played over the course of a month and they're not really that long.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:28 pm

42. Chinese Parents (6/29) (PC) (it was Chinese-only until a few weeks ago, so I'm counting it as a 2019 release)

It's basically Princess Maker except that like Long Live the Queen, it's realized that the concept is infinitely less creepy if you're playing as the subject rather than their parent. You play from your birth to, surprisingly, Chinese parents, until you turn 18. You don't get to pick your gender, but it does have meaningful effects on the way you're treated by your family and the world at large, as well as the activities and careers available to you. You're responsible for choosing six learning or entertainment activities every day. Those activities affect your stats, your stress level, and your parents approval of you, as well as the number of points you have available for other activities. The main one of those is the "Mind Map", a surprisingly deep gem-picking game that raises your stats and knowledge. Knowledge, in turn, unlocks more activities for prices that changed based on your stats. Alternatively, you could spend that energy working or meeting friends, and sometimes you'll have an exam that requires you to spend all your energy on a different minigame.

On top of all of that, some of your stats carry over to the next generation, as does your father's income. I'm pretty skeptical that it's possible to complete the hardest objective (admission to a top university by scoring well on the gaokao) from the base stats, but there's such a massive number of potential career paths and life decisions that I think it's totally fine that some of them realistically require multiple playthroughs.

As much as I love the aforementioned Long Live the Queen, the depth and variety of choices make this easily the best stat raising game I've played, and one I'll probably put a ton more time into. It's all the more interesting for the fact it's meant to simulate an experience many hundreds of millions of people actually have, and one that isn't talked about in the west. Per being a Chinese game, it's never overtly political, but there's plenty to read in the way various things (especially when playing as a girl) are presented. It would've been my new GotY frontrunner if not for...

43. missed messages. (6/30) (PC)

It's free, and it only took me 20 minutes to complete. It's a mental health game, and while that probably means you already know where the plot goes, but it delivers its message with a level of empathy, emotion, and credibility that's remarkable even without considering how short it is.

I could say more, but again, it's free and 20 minutes long. This is one that's going to stay with me, and I really can't recommend enough that you go out and play it.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:31 pm

44. Speed Dating for Ghosts (6/30) (PC)

What it says on the tin. I think this concept could work really well if it was played seriously and really explored the ghosts' former and current lives or if it went completely ham and focused on how incredibly stupid the idea is. Unfortunately, it tries to do both at once in a game that can be finished in 10 minutes. The characters that are serious don't have time to make you care at all, and the funny ones never get past the obvious jokes. Silly title aside, it's pretty forgettable.

45. 911 Operator (7/4) (PC)

Also what it says on the tin. Answer calls and decide what to do about them. It's not obvious why the game wants you to resolve certain calls the way it does (surely a car parked in the wrong place is not a 911 issue), and I don't think the emergency services equipment and personnel management aspect belongs in the game, but for the most part it's a unique and enjoyable experience. It puts a big emphasis on giving correct instructions for handling various emergencies, and while a lot of them aren't exactly kid-friendly, it'd be pretty cool to have something like this as an educational tool in place of public safety videos.

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:38 pm

So I've just finished Cadence of Hyrule. Visually it was adorable (I played as Zelda and her victory pose is just SO DANG CUTE uwu) and yes, the gameplay was indeed much easier than Crypt of the Necrodancer (which I also enjoy; although, full disclosure, I played in what is essentially Bard mode). Puzzles were legit, though, and the game was overall very enjoyable. :D

e: oh! And the music of course! 12/10 would Danny B again
we built our house of cards
but it feels like it's still ours...

Spritedude

Post by Spritedude » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:48 am

Just finished Red Dead Redemption 2 and uh.... well that was definitely a game. Full disclosure I never played the first game, which I hear is much less polarizing than this one.

So, first off, from a aesthetic and technical standpoint, the game is a marvel. The near-photorealistic landscapes are gorgeously done, and the fidelity of your character's animations and actions and the seamlessness of the world had me in awe the entire time. The story is also one of the game's stronger points, very character driven and a lot of well done tension and subsequent payoffs. Really made you feel the weight of the being on the other side of history during those times.

All that being said, in the end, I really didn't care for it. With all the effort to make this a realistic simulator-esque western experience, it's like they forgot to... you know, make a video game. Every time they had to choose between realism and fun, they chose realism every time, and I think the game suffers a lot from it.

Every action you take actually plays out like it would in real time. There's no streamlining at all. When you want to pick up some items, you gotta hold a button while your guy carefully reaches for every item and puts them in his satchel one at a time. If you want to loot a body, you have to stand over it, hold a button, and watch as your guy bends over to grab the dead guy, pats them down for items, grabs said items and puts them in his satchel. Repeat for the other two dozen enemies you just killed. It got to the point where I didn't even want to pick up items anymore cause it took too dang long. The realism was impressive, like, the first few times, if anything for the novelty, cause not a lot of games take the time to actually do that kind of thing, but it got old very quick. Compare this to say, Breath of the Wild, where you literally just stand over the items you want (which are in place of the enemy you just killed), and press a button. Bam, item in your inventory. There's a reason video games use that kind of animation shorthand. It isn't just because of the development cost, it's cause gamers don't actually want 100% realistic gameplay. No one cares that Link doesn't bend down to pick up every Bokoblin fang. Reality is boring, we play games to escape it. Skip it and get to the fun stuff.

And as an open world game, it's great to look at, but it felt very empty and boring. It's like the world in this game was made to be traversed, not explored. There's nothing to find, there's no secrets, no environmental storytelling. It's just... ride your horse from one settlement to the next for your next task, and maybe a group of bandits will ambush you along the way, or some dude will ask you for a ride. Again, compare this with Breath of the Wild, which has close to the same map size as RDR2, but is far more dense and full of places and things to find.

Anyways, I'm so glad to be done with this game. By the time I realized what kind of game I was playing, I was too far in and felt I couldn't just stop (even though I could've), so I trudged through it. The 70+ hours of monotony isn't really worth the decent story and graphics, in my opinion. Although, given that I like the story and characters, and assuming the first Red Dead Redemption has aged well and doesn't strive for realism as much as this game does, I'm actually willing to go back and play the first game, since it takes place after RDR2. Maybe sometime down the road.

TL;DR The game's pretty and has a good story, but puts realism over fun gameplay. Really long and boring, didn't like it. Gonna go play Breath of the Wild now.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:21 am

^As someone who would level a lot of the same complaints at BotW, (dead world, mechanics over convenience, etc) I'm almost tempted to play RDR2 just to see how immediately I bounce off of it. It at least has a story, which might keep me around for a bit, but everything I hear about the gameplay just sounds miserable.

46. Rumu (7/12) (PC)

You play as a sentient Roomba tasked with cleaning the home by the house AI while your owners are out. Mysteries ensue. Playing as a vacuum cleaner is actually surprisingly fun, but the mystery could only ever have a handful of uninteresting resolutions the way it was written and the story never attempts to say anything deep about AI, so there's no real narrative hook. That's more or less fine in a three hour game since the novelty of the character lasts about that long. It just means I probably won't remember this game for very long.

Also, it's no doubt more noticeable because this is my field, but the technobabble in this game is distractingly stupid. They just throw a bunch of words vaguely related to programming or math together in ways that make absolutely no sense and hope you don't notice.

47. Unheard (7/13) (PC)

A detective game where you control a little guy who runs around maps and listens to what people were saying at the time. Each of the five levels is a seen that is only a few minutes long but has many conversations going on at once across multiple rooms, so you have to follow characters around and rewind several times to catch everything. Then you answer some questions about the crime and move on.

It's an interesting concept that's pretty fun at first, but for the most part the mysteries are resolved when one character directly states that they're the killer or whatever at some point in the tape. If you listen to all of the conversations, none of the puzzles ever require more than one logical connection to solve. It would've been more enjoyable if solving the mysteries required some actual thinking instead of just listening to everyone and then choosing the obvious solution.

R-4. Mario Kart: Double Dash!! (GC)

Literally everyone has played this, so I'll leave it at saying it's still my favorite MK.

R-5. Analogue: A Hate Story (7/13) (PC)

This was one of the first games I played that put serious effort into its story, and I loved it for that. But I also haven't played it in many years and I've played a lot of better written games in that time. I can't say it really holds up.

Analogue's main problem is that it splits its attention between too many different subplots over the course of a very short game. There's the main one about what happened to the AIs you interact with throughout the story that, provided you don't already know what happens like I did this time, is actually interesting because you're interacting with those characters and have a reason to care about them. But then there are a half-dozen subplots about people who died on the ship, and mostly about how all their different relationships weren't tolerated on a spaceship that for some reason reverted to being medieval Korea. These are interesting from the perspective of understanding how much that actual time must've sucked for nearly everyone involved, but not so interesting from the perspective of the game because you don't get to know most of the characters very well and, for reasons relating to the main plot, pretty much all of them die before their stories get a resolution. So you spend a whole lot of time reading about what dead people you don't know thought of each other until their stories just end.

It's still probably a decent game for a first playthrough where you don't already know the main plot, but even then I just don't think the subplots are effective enough for how much time the game spends on them.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:45 pm

48. NAIRI: Tower of Shirin (7/16) (PC)

A point and click adventure game that mostly avoids the nonsense puzzles the genre is known for. Almost everything has a reasonably logical solution, and interactive items and usually obvious. My only complaints on that front are one item puzzle about halfway through and a couple of logic puzzles near the end that go off the rails and have solutions you come across more by process of elimination than because they make sense on their own. Still, the rest are fun and sometimes decently challenging, so it's a positive on the whole.

The story was the bigger draw for me, though. It's consistently funny and manages a good few surprises to keep you interested. That said, it ends on a cliffhanger that doesn't resolve anything and this was an indie Kickstarter game, so who knows if there will ever be any kind of conclusion to it.

49. Chaos Sector (7/18) (PC)

I hear this is a lot like Super Robot Wars, but I haven't played that, so I'll say it's turn-based grid combat with a relatively light 4X campaign on top. You get to take one action each turn from among attacking, developing planets or forts, researching, building ships, and some other pointless stuff I never did. Eventually somebody attacks somebody else and you've got to duke it out in space with some number of your ships based on your commanding general's ability. You win when you capture all the planets and defeat the alien big bad at the bottom of the map.

So far so good. I would've liked the ability to perform as many actions as you have generals, but I get that they had to limit it to one since you only have three generals at first and might need the other two if both other factions attack on their turns. There are some other issues, like developing not increasing income enough to ever really be worth it and the explore/sabotage options being completely and utterly pointless, but this could've been a really solid basis for a strategy game if they tweaked the numbers a bit.

Alas, it has a crippling flaw in that the AI is dumb as rocks. I never even came close to losing a battle in the campaign because it's so absurdly easy to bait the AI into sending its units at you one at a time. Since only your commanding general and ships get any experience from fighting and both can instantly warp to wherever you need them, you can exploit that strategy to blow through the entire game just using one set of (eventually incredibly strong) ships and your super-general. The final boss is the only thing that really puts up a fight.

What's weird is that this is also one of the only viable strategies. Since new planets give you so much more income than developing existing ones, constantly attacking is by far the best way to keep your economy up. But ships are extraordinarily expensive and building new ones is a separate action from attacking, so you're going to be slowed down a ton if you have to stop and rebuild. That'd probably be fine on its own, but the AI doesn't have an economy or stats to worry about: it's just a bunch of set fleets per planet that don't get any smaller even if you capture every other planet. Add in the fact that the combat style makes avoiding losses when fighting large groups of units nearly impossible and the AI's campaign advantages seem insurmountable unless you're exploiting its stupidity at the combat level.

It's still a rather fun game with two really good songs, and that's extra impressive coming from a solo developer, but it's hard not to wonder how much better it could've been with a few more balance and AI passes.

50. A Short Hike (7/22) (PC)

You're a bird on a family retreat and you've gotta climb a mountain to get cell reception. That's accomplished with some light puzzle-platforming and a good amount of exploration to collect enough golden feathers to have the stamina for the climb. It's well under an hour long unless you're really going for everything and getting back to where you were is usually pretty quick even if you mess up. Despite the obvious comparisons to another game about climbing sheer cliff faces and stamina meters, I actually had a good time with this one. Coming up just short on stamina is far less frustrating when you're only losing a few seconds because climbing is really fast and there's no fall damage.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:03 am

I am completely and utterly convinced that Danganronpa v3's fourth chapter was completely re-written halfway through and the writers did not cover their tracks as well as they thought they did.

i am way too invested in the anime mystery genre.
Spoiler.
So, I like DRv3 a lot, but there was one thing I noticed PREVALENTLY in it that I did not notice so much in the other installments.

DRv3 has a lot of traces of early ideas that didn’t make it to the final cut, but were not properly axed from the script.

A case 5 example: in the bathroom, you find a bottle. You find the bottle with “POISON” labeled on it and blood smearing the rest of the label. You are meant to assume that this bottle is a poison. You also find a series of antidotes on the desk in the Detective Lab, along with some poisons on the shelf - one of which is missing some of its contents.

It turns out that the bottle in the restroom is actually an antidote. You would expect this to be one of the twists uncovered in the trial: that the word POISON is there because the bottle actually said “XXX POISON ANTIDOTE” but the key word ANTIDOTE had been obscured, and the actual source of the poison was the bottle in the detective lab missing some. The source of poison was a different thing than the bottle at the crime scene labeled poison! What a twist!

However, the way this is ACTUALLY uncovered in the trial is Maki just telling you she brought some antidote and tossed it in, and the fact that the bottle is labeled as poison is simply never addressed.

The intentional smearing of blood to mislead you into thinking the antidote was actually the poison is never brought up. I assume that line of reasoning was cut out because the trial was already plenty convoluted with twists and turns, and they wanted to streamline it a bit. Maybe they were considering a whole to-do about who brought the poison bottle in or something before revealing it as an antidote and then scrapping that.

Whatever the case, they really should’ve removed the whole bit about it saying “POISON” and just had it clearly be an antidote from the start. My long-winded point here is that **the asset implies that the writing was originally going to have us unravel a certain twist that eventually ended up being cut from the script for whatever reason.**

Now….. allow me to focus my attention on case 4.

I do not believe for one second that Case 4 was intended from the outset to pan out the way it did. Which, of course, is fine - changing your mind about things is part of the writing process. But the finished script in Case 4 does not cover its tracks here very well.

I’m going to start off by listing all of the things I noticed that I’m surprised didn’t go anywhere, and then talk about what I think those might imply, and then after that I’ll make some conjecture on what I think might have been intended or what I think might have been cool to see. But FACTS FIRST.

1. At the beginning of the class trial, Kokichi pointedly asks Monokuma what happens in the event of a tie. Monokuma then responds that as long as one of the two selected is the blackened, it’s fine. This NEVER COMES UP AGAIN.

2. Two key points in the case are that Kaito was forcibly logged out, and that Kokichi had a bottle of poison planted on him. In the trial it’s decided that the only person who could possibly have orchestrated these events were Miu, the last to log in and the only one with a cell phone. The trial NEVER ONCE acknowledges that Kokichi, who was in the parlor, could have forced Kaito to log out from the parlor phone, or that he could have planted the poison bottle on himself. It’s not that these are brought up and dismissed - they’re simply never brought up in the first place.

3. Kokichi is very obviously and patronizingly leading you throughout the entire first half of the trial. Any deduction you make just seems like it’s following an obvious bread crumb trail he’s left for you. He feels in complete control.

4. In one of the big trial turning points, you lie and say that you went into the parlor and saw that Kokichi was absent. Kokichi then asks everyone, “who do you believe? me, or Shuichi? I say I was in the parlor, he says I wasn’t.” Everyone responds with FULL AND COMPLETE FAITH in Shuichi - a beacon of truth and honesty, a foil to Kokichi’s lies and deceit. You are telling a huge bold-faced lie to his face and everyone is commenting on how you, Shuichi, the detective, would never tell a lie. THEN! Tsumugi actually CATCHES you in that lie: she points out that she should have seen you walk past her if you actually went to the parlor, but she didn’t. It’s an incredibly tense moment in the trial. Tsumugi immediately redacts her statement, everyone believes you, the trial proceeds, and no one ever calls you out on lying ever again and you get away with it completely.

You may be thinking: “the trial undertakes a turning point immediately after that where Kokichi just names the culprit out of spite, so it’s obvious some things leading up to it might not go where you think they would.” But hear me out here… where trial 4 ends up going makes ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE given what we later learn about Kokichi as a character. He, apparently, genuinely wanted to end the killing game…. so what purpose, exactly, did manipulating Gonta into killing someone else, and then leading Shuichi to that conclusion to get him executed, serve? Trial 4 could’ve been a huge turning point in the game, and I think that DRv3 originally intended to do some WHACK **** with Kokichi (that they later revised/rewrote), and that case 4 was going to set the stage for it.

I will now present my Big Woke Galaxy Brain Take on what I think case 4 was originally going to do, and then break down why I think I’m totally right about everything.

I think Kokichi’s goal was to orchestrate a murder (by someone else, as happened in the final version) that implicated 2 people, lead the trial/Shuichi to the 2 possible culprits, and get the correct verdict by a 50/50 tie, in order to prove that the whole truth is not necessary in order to win - further dialogue in the truth vs. lies theme of the game. Then YOU, as Shuichi, would notice his own manipulation of the crime, and find the greater truth of his own involvement, and pinpoint the actual exact perpetrator, leaving no need for a tie and having full confidence in your truth. It would be a clash of Kokichi Values vs Shuichi Values.

I think Case 4 was going to be less about “how could you do this to Gonta” angst and more about “take a good hard look at this truth you value so much”.

It would make more sense for Kokichi: as it stands, he apparently orchestrated a murder to… uh… **** with you? I dunno, but he didn’t really gain anything from it other than getting Gonta offed - he CLEARLY intended for Shuichi to deduce the perpetrator from the outset, so it’s not like he wanted to get Gonta to graduate or to actually kill everyone else. Maybe he just wanted to thin the cast out until it was a number he could manage for the **** he ended up pulling after. I guess he did get to test out whether or not he could bait Monokuma into helping him, which was useful. BUT, in a case that is so heavy-handed on how he’s pulling all the strings, I think it would have made sense for him to get some hard metagaming out of it like he did in case 5 - this combined with his pointed question to Monokuma makes me think he was originally setting up something a lot more convoluted to see how he could game the class trial system.

The case also felt like it was setting up for Kokichi to alienate Shuichi from the rest of the cast. He forged an intentional rift between you and Kaito during the investigation, and kept calling Shuichi his partner… Kokichi then baited Shuichi into lying to incriminate him during the trial, and set up a “who do you trust - Shuichi or me?” split when they were both, in fact, lying. IMAGINE if Shuichi had ACTUALLY BEEN CAUGHT in that lie? It would’ve shattered everyone’s faith in him, allowed Kokichi to resume control, and you would’ve had to prove with cold hard evidence to back up everything you said the rest of the trial, making the stakes feel higher, and honestly the Kaito/Shuichi rift thereafter would have felt a lot more ingrained in the story’s themes than “I’m mad at you for being right”, because there would have been a really deep cutting loss of TRUST. As written the rift was good but not all that impactful in the grand scheme of things.

(I kept wondering when the game was going to bring up the fact that Kokichi, not just Miu, could have framed Kaito - by forcing him to de-spawn from the parlor phone and bringing the poison bottle himself - as an excuse to distance him from the investigation. It never did.)

Basically, the trial feels like it was setting up for some bigass Kokichi ********, and then halfway through decided to be something else completely. Trial 4 was still GOOD, and I honestly really liked the concept of “douchebag reveals the unknowing killer and you’re forced to follow the logic that they’re right even if you hate every second of it,” but I get the sense that the direction it ended up going wasn’t necessarily the direction planned at the outset.

This has been my Chapter 4 Conspiracy Theory. I just refuse to believe some of this was unintentional. I think it was intended, then the script revised, and some remnants of that earlier intent are left behind……

--

FURTHER MUSINGS:

What if Kokichi originally intended himself and Gonta to be the 2 possible culprits? The fact Kokichi couldn't have done it because of that code Miu added could have easily been a late addition after the script was revised - without that, either Kokichi OR Gonta could have ultimately pulled off the murder. BAM - two equally possible suspects, hence his question at Monokuma. owo

Thinking more on this.... if I'm right, it actually makes complete sense why they chose to scrap/re-write this. "Two possible culprits" might be too similar to the "two possible victims" in case 5 and it could be they decided to just axe that idea to avoid the two consecutive trials coming off as too same-y. (Alternatively the concept was lifted from this trial and tweaked to be implemented in chapter 5 *instead of* this trial.)

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:39 pm

^Had really high hopes for that game, but man, the first case blew it for me so badly that I just gave up on the whole thing.

Not trying to take it away from you if you're enjoying it/derail the thread, but I have to rant a bit:
Spoiler.
As much as the first two game's cases stretched plausibility, they at least never lied to the player. How can you have a mystery game if the character whose responses you're supposedly controlling can apparently just become an NPC for a few hours and set up a murder-trap without you knowing? It'd be one thing if they gave you any reason at all to think "you" weren't that character, but they don't. Twists being fair is really important to me, and that one just wasn't at all.

Also didn't help that they followed that up by switching the protagonist to a guy so boring they couldn't even come up with a new ability for him.
51. Pokemon White 2 (DS) (7/23)

It's more Pokemon, but definitely one of my favorites. The levelling pace if you're fighting all the trainers is a lot more consistent than in the first game, so the big battles are tense without returning to "welp, Ghestis' impossible Hydreigon OHKOs and outspeeds everything I have", and there's a really good variety of new and returning Pokemon that keeps both your party and NPC teams interesting. There's also no weird 10 level jump for the endgame like before, so you can go right into it without having to grind up to level 60+.

Story-wise, it's pretty alright when involving anyone except Hugh. Hugh's entire character is that he's upset that Team Plasma stole his sister's cat three years ago, and a truly absurd percentage of his dialogue is devoted to reminding either the player or whoever happens to be listening that said cat was stolen and that he wants to get it back. None of the other characters are actually much deeper, but they also don't spend enough time on screen for that to matter.

The only big complaint I have about it is that it's really hard to go back to HMs after Gen VII. Having to swap out part of my team so I can surf for a bit or cut down some trees isn't fun. Also, while not necessarily a complaint, it's weird that you can't fish until after you've completely basically everything.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:39 pm

So I got through all of DRv3.

Without spoiling everything.......

- Best soundtrack in the series

- Atmosphere/aesthetic on par with DR1, lacks that truly off-putting feeling of imprisonment that 1 was able to capture but it has its own feel that is very successful (plus the graphics and style are on **** point)

- Best gameplay in the series - the lying mechanic, the chapter 6 investigation, scrum debates, hangman's gambit being not whatever the **** the sdr2 version was.... it polished everything the series introduced so far

- Cast is mostly great, it has the same issue SDR2 did where everyone is very anime-exaggerated to the point it doesn't feel grounded in the same way DR1 did, but in this game I would argue that that is kind of part of the *point* of DRv3 so it is better excused here.

- Writing... well, I have a LOT to say about the writing. My earlier post on Chapter 4 goes into why I am really convinced there was a major direction change somewhat near the end of production that wasn't completely covered. Chapter 5 has many similar points. The game kind of feels like it was building up several different plotlines and then in the end they sort of... picked one that excuses everything. So the writing is NOT the tightest in the series, in fact I'd say it's probably the sloppiest.

That said, the way the ending frames it was VERY interesting, because it kind of encourages this sort of meta analysis. I don't believe the setup for this excuses everything - in fact I think it's more of a handwave justification for a lot of messy retconning - but given the game's themes it was a really compelling choice IMO and I greatly appreciate the fact that it actively encourages the player to interact with its Twist by re-playing the game. I like the fact that it encourages analysis, in a mystery/detective game I think that's really cool. I certainly think there ARE intentional devices left throughout that you're meant to read into, but I also believe a lot of stuff left behind was just traces of earlier scrapped ideas. I think the way it was framed is one of the only examples of a mystery twist that's so-big-it-undermines-itself actually being pulled off in a way that DOESN'T ruin the whole experience (although, IMO, it makes me not give a **** about any of the FTE's). So the ending was well executed but the lead up to it was definitely not lmao.

Pacing is the worst part of the game. It's so padded. I was discussing this with a friend and they mentioned it could be because it was the first installment that had a Big Major Console Release right off the bat so it needed to feel "complete" and I think they're right. It unfortunately suffered from that.

More details on my thoughts on the ending, with spoilers
Spoiler.
I think it's very much evident that Tsumugi is lying her ass off in the end. First of all, the only person who tells us Tsumugi can't cosplay real people is herself. We just have to take her word for it. Second of all, if Hope's Peak never existed, then how does she herself have an Ultimate talent? Third of all, someone says something about how Kokichi's last words should be taken to heart, because even if he lied a lot, those are the last thing he said: I think this was an intentional setup for how we choose to take Tsumugi's last "slip."

BUT MOST DAMNINGLY: Tsumugi claims she wrote Kaito's illness into his backstory. We KNOW that is ********! Because Kaito EXPLICITLY TELLS YOU that his memories DON'T include his illness and it seems to come out of nowhere.

So, it is my belief that we are meant to conclude Tsumugi is lying about that. What conclusions we choose to draw thereafter is definitely vague and up for interpretation. I definitely got the vibe that all the 'videos' recorded of everyone beforehand were Tsumugi in cosplay making that **** up because their personalities there do not coincide at all with the people as we experience them at the very beginning pre-transformation. And because Shuichi believes it, and him and Kaito just believing in people was a wholesome theme that I wanna get behind. I believe in them too! POWER OF WHOLESOME!!!!

Now then, I'm really not sure how that all works because it's equally clear that Hope's Peak etc. exists, but also that DRv3 was a show for an audience and everyone's backstories etc were completely made up. The truth is somewhere in the middle. I dunno exactly what I think and honestly it's less interesting to me than the fact that there are 80000 things in the narrative that betray other ideas that never went anywhere:

- what does DICE stand for
- why does Kokichi's design resemble someone in a straightjacket
- horse a twins b really didn't have a deeper meaning? really?
- cases 4 and 5 were so obviously rewritten and those were the Big Kokichi Cases
- what the **** was the point of the insect meet and greet. like that was an enormous waste of time and went nowhere. i read a theory somewhere where someone posited that it was meant to imply Gonta had something to do with the Ultimate Hunt and HONESTLY i think that person is on to something, that's the only way it would make any thematic sense to be there

etc
Anyway, I really enjoyed it. I think DR1 is still my overall favorite because it's the most cohesive experience. DR2 is probably the most polished game but I also like it the least by far. DRv3 is the most fun for me because its themes are interesting and it encourages you to scrutinize it, plus it has a great soundtrack.

Interesting/10.

Return to “General Gaming - Ten Hut!”