Fire Emblem: Three Houses

Everything Ninty!!

Moderator: Heroine of the Dragon

smol Kat

Re: Fire Emblem: Three Houses

Post by smol Kat » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:54 pm

s1x just finished his first playthrough on stream and I talked him into doing the ~correct pairing~. Without spoiling anything, I can confirm that it is in fact hilarious.
we built our house of cards
but it feels like it's still ours...

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:36 am

Marilink wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:35 pm
Spoiler.
Big E has not put any crest stones into people in this route so far, and is a lot more concerned with putting an end to it. But there’s a faction of the empire ( Edelgard’s uncle who tortured her and her siblings) who has ulterior motives concerning crest stones and such.

They probably didn’t want to write a new scenario, you’re right. But the power grab for Brigid by the church still makes sense to me. Intimidation was certainly a factor in their “appeal,” too.
Spoiler.
The mission before Jeralt dies is about saving students who were transformed either by her or Monica. Just about every battle with the Empire in the Church route has transformed soldiers on the other side, so I assumed that's why she allied with the Agarthans. If she's not using the stones or the mind control on the Empire route, it doesn't seem like the whole Flame Emperor adventure did anything for her.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:25 am

Spoiler.
I find it really inconsistent that Antagonist Edelgard weaponizes crest stone transformations, but I think I mostly feel that way because I’ve come to know and love Protagonist Edelgard.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:33 pm

Spoiler.
As a complete outsider that just kind of sounds like if you side with her they make her redeemable and if you don’t shes irredeemable so no matter what you feel like you made the Correct Choice, which is unfortunate. Would’ve been really cool if essentially the same wrongs are committed by everyone regardless of which side you choose, it just fleshes them out. I guess JRPGs wanna make you feel like the good guy though.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:18 pm

^that is what I had hoped as well. Little disappointed to hear that’s the case, but also I don’t mind a branching story with wild variance like we’re seeing here. And as far as my personal arc goes, I’m enjoying it and finding it fulfilling, and I don’t think my personal enjoyment will be diminished by knowing how the other arc plays out.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:42 pm

Spoiler.
Yeah, I'm with AJ on this one. I strongly suspect the reason so much of what I complained about in my spoilers post doesn't make sense is because they wrote a linear story and then forced branching on to it. Too many things just happen for no reason or with no consequence for the story to have been written this way.

It's weird that they're suddenly so scared of making you be the bad guy when they were okay with it in Conquest.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:24 pm

Do you think you would have enjoyed the game more if you chose a plot progression that you clicked with more?

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:51 pm

Not speaking for IAN here but from what I saw from S1x’s playthrough and read from the posts here it kinda seems like it’s straight up a matter of just one route plain having better and more consistent writing than the others

which is unfortunate if accurate because at that point just offer one path so everyone gets a well written experience. hard to gauge though without personally playing and comparing all routes.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:06 pm

Hard to say. It's not impossible that one or more of the branches actually makes sense, but the fact they were okay with whatever I played makes me doubt the rest are any better. Part 2 was completely incoherent.

Spoilers again:
Spoiler.
One example I haven't brought up yet is that Caspar and a few others build up some epic showdown with his father for basically all of part 2. Then you take the capital and they basically just go "lol he had a heroic death off screen." Apparently he sacrificed himself to save his men from... something. They don't bother with that part. Bernie's dad also gets arrested offscreen and the places Dorothea and Ferdinand were worried about are presumably fine since they never bring them up again.

I mean, how do you even respond to writing like that? And it's not like the stuff they do show is any good. Hubert barely even says anything before you kill him, and Edelgard just gets an anime cutscene where she says "it's hard, but you have to kill me" even though she's given no reason up to that point either for it to be hard or to suggest she can accept losing. And then there's the aforementioned "welp, guess you'd better kill our allies too" letter that Hubert was just carrying around for some reason.
I don't know if you've played KotoR II, but that game is infamous for running out of dev time and replacing most of the ending with a dialogue tree where you can ask what happened to everybody. This feels like that except they also cut the dialogue tree and a random 30-40% of the rest of the game.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:48 pm

Talked with someone else who did the Edelgard route and apparently (my route spoilers)
Spoiler.
The orbital nukes and dubstep cave are not a thing there.
So even though everything I saw was nonsense, I think I came out ahead here. :cool:

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:20 pm

Hold on the WHAT and the WHAT now

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:56 am

Yeah, I talked about it in one of the earlier spoilers, but those are actually in the game and not just nicknames I made up for something.
Spoiler.
The nukes are called spears of light or something, but they show them in a cutscene and they're clearly modern missiles from space, complete with heat shields and a huge explosion.

The dubstep cave is a cave with a soundtrack written by Skrillex.
Despite technology otherwise being Renaissance at best, the game doesn't consider either of those things notable enough to need explanation.

EDIT: I was going to link the latter, but the only upload of it appears to have been hit by the Nintendo purge yesterday. Hopefully someone else puts it back.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:05 am

Yeah i was gonna wait to read the other spoilers til I finished but I guess I’m gonna have to go read them now

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:34 pm

Videos of those two things:
Spoiler.
Nuclear missiles: (jump to 1:38 if it doesn't start there)

dubstep: (13:00)

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:46 pm

I am nobody wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:56 am
Yeah, I talked about it in one of the earlier spoilers, but those are actually in the game and not just nicknames I made up for something.
Spoiler.
The nukes are called spears of light or something, but they show them in a cutscene and they're clearly modern missiles from space, complete with heat shields and a huge explosion.

The dubstep cave is a cave with a soundtrack written by Skrillex.
Despite technology otherwise being Renaissance at best, the game doesn't consider either of those things notable enough to need explanation.

EDIT: I was going to link the latter, but the only upload of it appears to have been hit by the Nintendo purge yesterday. Hopefully someone else puts it back.

Funny you mention technology....
Spoiler.
Those Who Slither in the Dark invented technology like that....The Black Eagles, or rather, Edelgard's uncle, uses them. And, one thing I wish we could have done, was actually CONFRONTED Them since the ending just says "oh yeah we fought 'em later on". :/ Seriously I get that Rhea was the final boss but maybe she could have come back or gotten resurrected so she could still be the final boss on the Black Eagles route?

Much like Fates... you really have to play all four routes to really get the full picture, and from the looks of it, none of 'em end in a golden revelation of "Everybody lives!" like Revelation did.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:04 am

^I can almost guarantee there will be DLC in which you can fight TWSITD post-Edelgard route. Maybe that's wishful thinking, but they've announced DLC is in the works, and they have a history of making good on DLC scenarios, so that option is just so obvious.

oh btw I beat the game last night. I loved it. I personally found the writing enjoyable, if a little silly at times, front to back. I think I might have connected with my choice of route more than Ian did with his, and from what he's been saying, if I had chosen his route I might have been similarly disappointed. That's a shame, because that means the 4 endings don't appear to be of equal quality, but that's also a very hard thing to actually accomplish from a writing standpoint.

Debating whether I want to go back to my branched save and finish the other Black Eagles route or not. I think I'm a little too attached to my choices the first time around to play the scenario that goes against everything I just accomplished. Plus, from what I've read from Ian and what I've watched of the cutscenes and stuff for that route, it does appear lackluster compared to what I just experienced.

I married Edelgard btw, no regrets, I think she might be my favorite FE character altogether

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:17 pm

Just discovered on Twitter that Crimson Flower, the route I chose, is actually the “secret” story route. Apparently if you don’t invest in Edelgard’s support early on, and if you don’t go with her in Chapter 11 to do that thing she does, you can’t unlock the true ending that specific story thread, and you get railroaded to Silver Snow (the story Ian played).

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:40 pm

Yeah, I found that out as well from some videos making it out as a big discovery. Seems like you'd have to try pretty hard to not qualify for it, though. You don't need Edelgard's support all that high to get it, and even though I don't think she's a top-tier unit, it's hard to imagine having a party where she doesn't even make the top 10 at that point in the game.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:46 pm

Yeah, agreed. It seemed very natural to me so I was surprised to hear people treat the true ending it as “secret.”

That answers my question from earlier in the thread, though, about what happens if you choose not to go with E in Chapter 11. It just locks you out from making the big choice at the end of the chapter.

Return to “Nintendo Main”